Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Schizophrenia

Since moving to Nevada, my career has taken a rather strange turn. In Minnesota, I found myself covering mostly sporting events -- Twins, Vikings, Gophers, Wild, Timberwolves, high school state tournaments -- and writing sports stories for some national magazines. In my first six months here, I reviewed Celine Dion's show at Caesar's and covered my first NASCAR race.

But rarely have I had a more schizophrenic week. To wit: Yesterday, I interviewed actress Shannon Elizabeth (left) for a story on the upcoming World Series of Poker.

Today, I interviewed Iowa State defensive coordinator Wayne Bolt (right) for a story on the Cyclones in the Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook.

I mean, I've had weeks where the variety of my work can be overwhelming. I remember one in particular, shortly before we moved here, when I interviewed Twins center fielder Torii Hunter, golf legend Ben Crenshaw, and wrestler-turned-Viking-wannabe Brock Lesnar. But I think this week takes the cake.

Elizabeth and Bolt were both great interviews, by the way. Very nice people with interesting things to say about their professions.

All I can say when reflecting on my job is, what a long, strange trip it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment