Tuesday, September 16, 2008

2 down, ____ to go

A week in and I've lost two pounds. It's a start -- in fact, it's right on pace. My target weight for the triathlon is 215, which means I need to lose a total of 25 pounds in 14 weeks. So two pounds a week would get me there.

Today's training session included crunches, leg lifts, shoulder presses and lunges -- lots and lots of lunges. They're not fun -- but they do the job.

Oh, and I ran yesterday for the first time since the Reagan administration (I kid ... but not much). It was on the treadmill, and I was pretty much just dipping my toe into the water by running for one minute (5.7 mph), then walking for two minutes, and repeating the cycle for 30 minutes. It went well enough that next time I'm going to try one-minute intervals for both walking and running. Then I'll just extend the running periods while continuing to walk for a minute on each "break" until I'm feeling good enough to run 3.1 miles.

Or that's the plan. Anybody have tips for a beginning runner? Fire away.

3 comments:

  1. Keep at it PD. It gets easier, and pretty soon you're hooked on the running. You actually feel crappy when you DON'T run! And a good mix on your Ipod goes a long way...
    TBone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys -- I'm plugging away, one step at a time. I actually had a checkup today and my doctor liked the idea of a sprint triathlon so much, he said he's going to register for one. And not just any one, but the one I'm in! Maybe he just wants to be close at hand in case I collapse a mile into the race ...

    ReplyDelete